Saturday, February 2, 2008

What kind of baby?

Last Friday (1/25) I had my first ultrasound. Eric went with me and we were able to see our little "blob". We got to see the heart beating - Amazing! Everything seems fine for right now, it is too early in the game to know of any diabetic related defects. We will have a better understanding of the heart and spinal development closer to 18 weeks. Which brings me to my next topic. Dr. Buckson calculated my due date for September 9th putting me at 9 weeks this coming Monday. However, Dr Lance (who is in with Dr. Sweeny) said that the baby was measuring 1 week smaller than we thought - he did not change my due date and maybe Buckson won't either. I am eagar to see her again on 2/14 to know exactly how far along I am.

After getting the ultrasound photo - which I will upload once our scanner is working - we decided to tell Pacey the news. I showed her the picture and asked her if she knew what it was,

"a bird?"
"no, its not a bird, its a baby"
"what kind of baby?"
"a baby, baby"
"a baby squirell?"
"no, a real baby - its inside mommy's belly"
I explained to her how I will have to go the doctor for check ups and that Pacey will get to see the baby on a special TV when the doctor puts a camera on my belly to take a picture of the baby - after everything, I asked Pacey how she felt about it,
"sad"
"why are you sad, this is very exciting"
"I am sad because you have to go to the doctor."

Well, I wasn't really sure of how much she understood until she started retelling the story to EVERYONE we saw, including a young couple with a new baby at Starbucks. She gets it, alright. She has even picked up on the fact that the baby is making my belly upset. Pacey has also started talking to the baby and kissing it good night, so sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The squirrel comment reminds me of a dream I had when I was pregnant with Lindsey. When we brought her home from the hospital, Ashley peeked into the cardboard box and saw her baby sister ferret!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,

I have been sitting here reading all the posting. How sweet with Pacey kissing the baby good night.

I remember Renee telling me about Jaclyn singing to Dylan while she was pregnant. She would sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to him.

The day came when Dylan was born and I took Jaclyn to the hospital to see them. Dylan began to cry and she began to sing the song and he soon stopped.

I can just picture Pacey singing to her new sister or brother.

Love,
Pat