Friday, February 29, 2008

Growing Babies...

Several weeks ago, I came to the realization that I would need to stop working with a particular student who was just too physically demanding for me now that I am pregnant. I was very nervous about how his mother would take the news but she was great. I just thought I would share here email with you all. (I changed their names to first initials)



Hi Carrie,

First let me say congratulations! There is nothing more exciting than a baby on the way.

That being said, if anyone knows about high risk pregnancies, it is me. As I am sure you are aware, because of E’s extreme prematurity, I was considered extremely high risk when I was pregnant with M. I was put on modified bed rest at around 25weeks and full bed rest about a month later. With weekly visits to a perinatologist, weekly progesterone shots, and lots of rest, I was able to keep M in until one day shy of 36 weeks. No one thought I’d make it much past 36 weeks and it was our ultimate goal. I saw Dr’s Sweeney and Lance during that pregnancy – they are high risk doctors in Annapolis. They did a wonderful job easing my mind during pregnancy. Because M’s pregnancy showed them that my body is incapable of carrying a pregnancy full term without a lot of intervention, I was told that any other pregnancies would require bed rest to start at the beginning of the second trimester. Needless to say, I think we are quite content with our two beautiful children.

Please don’t feel guilty about this. I am sure that Eva and her team will do a fine job working with E. I will certainly be thinking about you over the next several months and wish the best for you and your baby. It is not easy growing babies, especially when high risks are involved. Rest up and be good to yourself.

All my best,

Sara

No comments: