Tuesday, January 22, 2008

First of many...

I had my first OB appointment this afternoon. My due date is September 9th - Mom and Dad's wedding anniversary! Tomorrow I will call and make an appointment with Dr. Sweeney - my high risk OB - for my first of many ultra-sounds. One nice thing about being high risk is that you get to have several HD ultra-sounds. I saw Sweeney throughout my pregnancy with Pacey. During one visit, he had a picture of Pacey's foot on the screen, there was a black spot on it, he - very seriously - said, "you see that black spot..." Eric and I froze, oh my God, what did it mean! "that means she will go to UNC and be a tar heel."

My general OB, Dr. Buckson is funny. Every time I reminded her of one of my high risk factors her shoulders dropped and she shook her head. She confessed that trying to figure out my insulin pump - when I was pregnant with Pacey - nearly drove her to drink! Regardless, I have a lot of faith in her. Her sense of humor relaxes me. I told her that my blood type was O-negative but no worries because Eric was O-negative too - her reply was, "Yea, well is he the baby daddy?" Hilarious! I told her that only she would say something like that and reminded her of the time she offered Eric a fortune cookie during a pre-natal check up for Pacey because she was starving and looking for something to eat.

I feel good about everything but will feel much better after the first ultra-sound. They call it a "viability" ultra-sound. I don't really like the sound of it but it will show the doctor's if the fetus is well, viable. Check the heart function and other systems that have already developed. It is amazing what they know about fetal development. This week, my baby will double in size from a pea to a bean... that must be why my pants felt tight today! ;-0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to keep a diary--there was a time when you didn't allow your mother to read your diary! Can't wait to see the first photo of my new grandbaby! Love, Mom