Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Medical Updates

Last month, during Elliott's 2 month well baby visit, Dr. Ginsburg was concerned that he may have a hernia. She referred us to a urologist - same one who did Elliott's circumcision - Dr. Mc Dermott. We had that appointment last week. Dr. McDermott could not get the hernia to "demonstrate" but he explained the whole thing to us. When the testicles drop, the hole is supposed to close back up - when it doesn't a hernia can form when the intestines come through the hole - nice, right? Anyway, he told us what to look for in case of an emergency and wanted to see Elli again in 3 mos.

We also heard from the doctor regarding Elliott's monitor... He continues to be apnea free which is fantastic, however he continues to have episodes of Bradycardia or low heart rate. This is likely caused by his acid reflux so they have increase his prevacid to twice a day. We started this on Saturday, they will come again after Thanksgiving to read the monitor but I have a feeling it will be the new year before he is off of it.

Regarding me... my incision is still not healed. At 10 weeks (Elliott is now 12 weeks) I returned to the OB and we were both so frustrated with the fact that it was still open and draining - gross, I KNOW!!! So anyway, she referred me to the Wound Center at the hospital - what fun that was... they took multiple pictures of my incision, poked and prodded around in there for over an hour... the doctor removed some "granulation" that had formed, with nitrogen - they said that the granulation can interfere with the would closing. They taught me how to wash and dry it and how to apply a silver gel and dressing... i go back in 2 weeks (on the 24th)... we will see... the good thing that is coming from this is that as long as my incision is open, I qualify for time off with pay - otherwise, I would be going unpaid by now.

My return to work is uncertain at this point due to several factors... it was my intention all along to use my sick leave, apply to the sick leave bank, and then to use FMLA (family medical leave act) getting me about 16 weeks off... now that I have had issues with my incision it looks like I could be off more like 20 weeks. If after 20 weeks, Elliott is still on the monitor, I will reapply for FMLA. You see, right now, I am on FMLA for the birth of a child... you can also be on FMLA in order to care for a family member... the FMLA allows me to be off without pay but with continued benefits.

Elliott will be 3 months this Saturday - I can't believe he has been here that long already... Pacey has FINALLY accepted her little brother. Last week, he fell asleep in his swing, she walked by and smiled at him, came over to me, hugged me and said, "isn't he cute? I am glad we got him." I had been waiting 12 weeks to hear that :-)

Here are some recent pics...


























5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for the update and the pictures. They are so cute, there are times that I think he looks just like his daddy. I am so glad to hear that Pacey is liking her brother. I am so looking forward to seeing you all next week. I can't wait to hold that little boy and hug Pacey.

We will be praying for your wound to heal, but I am glad that you are able to be home with the kids.

Love, Pat

Anonymous said...

Carrie--Love the pictures! Especially the ones of Elli in Pacey's chair. I knew Pacey would adjust--even though it has been a trying time--everything is looking up now! Now you probably understand that "patience is a virtue" thing! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,

I love all the pictures. I'm smiling right now! He looks so much like Pacey but with redder (is that a word?) hair. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your incision. I guess the silver lining to that is more time off.

I knew Pacey would return to the sweet child within.

See ya next week! Can't wait.

Love, Terri

Anonymous said...

Now I know how to check up on you! Good pictures. Enjoyed them. Be careful, Poppa's watching now. Love you.

Anonymous said...

See I do you check it from time to time.

Love ya,
Big E